by Sierra Busch, Founder of Creative Edge Travel
Coronavirus calls us to honor our elders.
Last week, I wrote about the cultural consequence of losing so many elders who carry the stories and traditions that make Italy so special. Just a week later, we’re facing the same fate here in the US.
How many times have you made small talk with an elderly person in passing but only later wondered what their story is?
Let’s not wonder, let’s write. Here’s my challenge for you:
This week on a day of your choosing, dial your granny or “GrandPops”, your elderly neighbor upstairs, or the old chap down the road with the yard full of antiques, and choose a few of the below questions for a deep-dive into your elder’s story:
- What invention or product do remember being a big deal in your life?
- What’s your favorite place you’ve traveled to? Is there anywhere you’ve dreamt of going but haven’t yet?
- What was your favorite recipe or craft you used to do with your mother or father?
- What do you miss from the old days? Was it better back then?
- Do you regret anything? Would you change anything from your past if you could?
- What are you most proud of? What are your biggest accomplishments?
- How did you overcome the difficult times in your life?
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- What was your first job? What jobs did you do throughout your life? Have you ever dreamed of doing something else?
- What is the best memory you have?
- What was your favorite toy when you were a child? Did you play any games with your friends?
- Is there anything you’ve always wished for or wanted to do but haven’t had the chance?
- Did you have any pets when you were younger?
- Tell me about your favorite music, books and movies.
- What world events impacted your life or your family the most?
- Are you married? What was your proposal and wedding like? Describe your spouse. What is your secret to a happy marriage/relationship?
- How do you want to be remembered?
- Have you always lived here? Which other cities or countries did you live in?
- What advice would you give your 20-year-old self?
- What life advice would you give to young people?
Or any questions of your own!
Write down the answers and share them on social media with the hashtag #elderstories. Be sure to tag @Creative.Edge.Travel on Instagram or @CreativeEdgeTravel on Facebook! We’ll be sharing our favorites on our FB and IG!
I promise you, this will be a phone call you’ll treasure. I can’t wait to read these!
Click here to use the above Canva templates to share your story or quote!